Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mis-tah


Some of our adoring fans in Iraq. For a year I was Mis-tah (Mister) the giver of toys, soccer balls, pencils, and anything else the kids could think of. If you want to learn about persistence and tenacity I give you an Iraqi child. I clocked one kid who lasted at least four hours under the hot Iraqi sun. My memory is hazy but the conversation probably sounded like this:
"Mis-tah?"
"What."
"Mis-tah?"
"What!"
"Pincil (pencil) Mis-tah."
"I don't have a pencil."
- Moment of stupefied silence -
"Pincel?"
"I don't have a pencil!"
Now repeat that conversation for four hours. If you give that kid a pencil three more show up to fill his place. If you open the trunk you'll have a mini-mash pit, its like opening Santa's bag. As exasperated as I may sound I don't think any of the soldiers I worked with got sick of giving. We did as much good as we could without jeopardizing security, and handed out a lot of pincils.

4 comments:

  1. LOL I loved this story. You have done so many wonderful things with your life. I love you son. hugs, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that your video? I would love to hear more stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll start calling you Mis-tah. Yes,that's his video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't amazing what we take for granted?

    ReplyDelete