Friday, August 28, 2009

A Mr. Roberts Moment

The last scene of the film 'Mr. Roberts' remains one of the most inspiring moments in movie history. Okay, maybe its not that great, but I grew up with the movie and it has always inspired me. After learning of his mentor's (Mr. Roberts) death, Ensign Pulver overcomes his fear of the tyrannical captain and fulfills his potential. A clip of the scene can be seen here:


Our neighbors above us have pounded, hammered, and stomped for months, as many a visitor can attest. Today, amidst the stomping, I could bear no more and ran up the stairs and knocked on their door to inform them of our feelings. Of course he was really nice and it appears they weren't aware of the problem. Months and months of bitter plotting (on my part, which included holding a crying MD up to the vents or taking a broom handle to the ceiling in the early morning hours) could have been avoided by a simple conversation. In fact, I think we'll invite them over for dinner.

So the experience didn't match up exactly with Ensign Pulver's but the feeling of accomplishment is the same (and our broom handle will only be used for sweeping now).

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! That is a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm, being one of those visitors who has listened to them play what seemed to be a full game of cricket above my head some nights, I am not sure that all is as innocent as it seems but the answer is definately dinner. All can come to a greater understanding when great food is consumed and traditions shared.
    I must say I was getting concerned about the upcoming visit because I could not decide whether or not to bring small ear plugs or the bose and I had just settled on the bose when you posted this blog.... a dinner party sounds like much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did they look like? Are they as fat as I pictured in my head after hearing all the noise they make?

    ReplyDelete