Friday, February 20, 2009

One of my favorite Iraq pictures

This is one of my favorite pictures because it captures a lot of the powerful and confusing emotions of Iraq. The US soldiers see themselves, at least I do, as soteriological figures (savior, with a small s) from an oppressive regime. We deliver light and freedom. Many Iraqis, especially as time goes on, see only an occupation force that imposes values and lifestyles that they don't like. The Americans abuse and damage. Both viewpoints are present in this picture. I still believe in America, although our light on a hill doesn't always shine as brightly as it should sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. It speaks a thousand words. I love the photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, poignant photograph. Insightful description

    ReplyDelete